Friday, February 5, 2016

Welcome to my Rollercoaster!

So we met the surgeon on Wednesday.   Both Gordon and I felt good about her.  She has been doing this for 25 years.  She told us all the possibilities.  If the tumor is aggressive all bets are off and chemo is on the table.  If it is not then surgery and radiation will do the trick.  But.... there are some problems.  I have a family history that is not so good.  My grandmother and my aunt both had breast cancer and 5 years later it metathesized into bone cancer and they passed.  My uncle had the bone cancer and he died too.  My father and his mother had pancreatic cancer.  Surprisingly enough she said that the pancreatic cancer was in the same family as breast cancer.  So basically I have this beast on both sides.  She did the genetic test for the mutation but said that my chance for reoccurring could be as high as 65%.  She said we need to consider full mastectomy.  But no results on the biopsy mean we wait.  Oh, and just to keep us busy she ordered and MRI of my breast too.  (let me tell you - not fun)

Fast forward to today.  She finally called.  Great news, the tumor is nothing!  Not aggressive, no receptors and looks like a non event.  But (wait for it) the MRI was not so good.  they found a large area of enhancement deep in my breast.  She thinks it is DCIS - Ductal Carcinoma In Situ.  Basically it is commonly found with Padgets and is unorganized cancer cells.  They are not aggressive or quick to spread so the treatment is full mastectomy.  No radiation or chemo needed after!  Can you see the roller coaster going up?
Time to go down again.  We have to be sure because this could still be an aggressive cancer so back to biopsy!  This time in the MRI machine.  Oh and did I mention the wrinkle?  There is a small area of enhancement in the right breast too so they will biopsy both.  I am a pin cushion. If I knew how to add emoticons here there would be a sad face here.  Oh and they can't scheduled it till the 17th cause they only do them 1 day a week and that is the first opening.  So now we wait again to know what this is and what to do.  Meanwhile I wonder what it will feel like to lose both breasts and be a pear.

I am grateful for such good friends.  I am constantly reminded I am not alone.  I am grateful for the gospel that shows me where the roller coaster is going so I am not so afraid of the corners and hills.   I am trying to teach my kids that you can do anything if you hold onto that. 
The big picture is good.  I caught this early and we just need to get all the info and make the right decision about surgery.  Possibly be done after that.  I just need to hold on till we get around the next corner and hill.


7 comments:

  1. Love you my friend!! You can do this!! You are one of the strongest women I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth you are so strong! Your kids are amazing and I know you can all get thru this. You and your family will be in our prayers! This is Michelle Palmer by the way not Jared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My beautiful Sister, You remind me so much of myself, in that we are both outspoken and we are born fighters. I, too, have watched my family have to suffer as they dealt with seeing me go through so much as I was close to death more than once. I do however know that in our suffering we are helping to prepare others for whatever trials they might face in their lives. You are special, Ruth. Special does not mean unscathed. It means "able." Able to stand against the storm, as Job did, and never lose our faith and love for Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Christ was certainly special, yet, he suffered most of all. And, my beloved sister, you are very special to everyone that loves and adores you, of which I am counted. In this trial you will learn to lean more on others as they have leaned on you. I love you, dear Ruth, and your family. My thoughts and prayers are always with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Ruth! I'm so glad you caught it early. Hang in there. Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I am so glad you caught this early and are taking the steps to be aggressive with it. You are so strong. We love you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this challenging journey with us. We love you and care so very much. Know that you have our full support.

    John and Wendy Raisor

    ReplyDelete