Monday, March 7, 2016

Surgery and Answers

I find myself wanting to start with good news but I just don't feel like there is any.  My genetic test came back negative.  That should be good news but then the doctor said that means there really isn't any reason for my cancer.  It just happened.  That is a hard pill to swallow today.  Because of that they are only taking the left breast.  That should also be good news but since I don't get to do reconstruction that means I will be lopsided.  I will end up flat on one side and too big on the other.  Surgery is scheduled for Monday  the 21th.  I will have a drain for about 2 weeks and then I will need another 2 before I go back to work.  Then it will all be over.  No cancer, no other surgery, no treatment needed.  I feel empty, like I will never be whole again.  So many people have said that I am lucky that I don't need chemo, and that is true.  I am sure many will say wow, you don't need to lose both breasts and that is true.  I will heal faster without reconstruction, that is true.  I am lucky I found it so early, that is true.  So why don't I feel lucky?  All I feel is tired.

So where does that leave me?  I get through it, I keep walking forward.  I keep praying and trying to do my best.  I thank God for my blessings and let the rest go.  I look for ways to serve and be needed.  I know I don't know the reason for all things.  But I need to be patient and wait.  I want to say  that  I know that God lives.  I know that there is a plan for my life.  Man is that he might have joy.  So go laugh a little and I will work on being more grateful.  I will stop whining and find a way to be more happy.  I didn't have a choice to have cancer, I don't get to choose how to deal with it.  But I can choose to be happy.

6 comments:

  1. Truly, Ruth... you are AMAZING!
    The sun will shine again.. brighter than ever before! With your faith, waiting on the Lord, you WILL SEE blessings you cannot begin to even imagine! That's just how it is! The fruits of your faith cannot be denied! You've got your heart and hope in all the right places. You GO!! GIRL!! He's got your back!! Thanks for letting is see into your faith-filled heart!! A precious blessing for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Ruth! Your courage and strength is a blessing in my own life. Thank you for being a woman of faith.I am here for you night and day.love love love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Ruth! Your courage and strength is a blessing in my own life. Thank you for being a woman of faith.I am here for you night and day.love love love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are no words to make this easier or less devastating. All I can think of to say is, I love you, Ruth. None of us have perfect bodies and we are lopsided in one way or the other. For me it is, my belly sticks out more than my butt, and one breast is smaller than the other. Our bodies are only temporary vessels, thank goodness. One day, we will all be perfect in form. As for you, you are already perfect to me. We have struggled with our bodies being imperfect for most of our lives. You will rise above this, my beautiful sister. You and your family are forever in my prayers. XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete